
Here we go class, this is our area!
You will be awarded points on a weekly basis for participating on this blog.
It will fall under quick reads category in your grades.
Have three replies to the discussions each day. Tally's will take place on Fridays.
Put in your opinions but respect the opinions of others. Use evidence(information from websites we have used or from personal experience) to support your opinions.
Keep posting!
Online Security Questions
Discussion #1
First of all, you will need to log into this site with your own eblogger id. It will require a google account. Do all this stuff first. See me and classmates if you need help.
Second, this week we had a discussion that involved security (blocking websites) and censorship. Let's wrap up the discussion we started. Answer the following questions and respond to at least two other postings from two different people in class.
Please realize that these two questions are related - not separate- of each other when answering.
Question #1 When is it appropriate or not appropriate for websites to be blocked?
Question #2 When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right(1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
57 comments:
I understand that some websites such as pornography and such should definitly be blocked. But since you can write a reaserch paper on pretty much anything, nonone has the right to say what's "educational" and what's not.
The first amendment allows for freedom of speech. With blocked sites, our rights are not being serviced. We can't see other people's opinions or voice our own.
Question #1 When is it appropriate or not appropriate for websites to be blocked?
In my opinion, the blocked content should be restricted to vulgar and/or innappropriate materials, not just websites that students will log on for fun. We need to leave it up to the teacher to keep their students from playing games and getting off task. By blocking some sites we inadvertantly block others that could be used for educational purposes.
Question #2 When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right(1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
The author has the right under the First Amendment to write their ideas and post them on the Internet. The school should then have the right to block sights based on content, though they should have reasonable educational merit in doing so.
I agree that some websites should be blocked for the safety of the students in the buildings. Blogging sites such as MySpace can attract child predators and link childs to their school. Teachers and the school administrators should decide on whats educational and not ny following the curriculim(?) of the class.
The Frist Ammendment is the freedom of speech. People have the right to post their ideas/stories/information on the internet, and it allows other to learn from them.
1)Websites should be blocked if they have something inappropriate on them or if they may draw attention when they should be paying attention to something else. If the website has something educational, or a teacher tells you to use it for homework help.
2)If a site is blocke I think that the first ammendment is not being served because, in some cases, websites are a way of telling people something important, or what they think is important.
I agree with Alicia that the material should be block on inapporpriate content. By blocking educational sites just becuase of key words is not right, because half the sites i have tried to go on for educational purposes have been block due to key words. Besides who is to say whats inapporpriate or not becuase software developers can not decide.
The first amendment allows freedom of speech. When sites are block the first amendement is not being served.
I think that some sites should be blocked but only if they website shows inappropriate things. I don't believe that any of the websites should be blocked at the high school because when most of the people here are mature enough to do the right thing or have already seen what has been blocked. If the site is any way educational it should not be blocked.
I think there is a government right that is not being serviced beacuase they block out sites like Mysspace™ that allows you to express yourself through words and art.
OK everybody - keep going with your posts. Even if you answered my questions (both of them) you must keep involved with the discussion and respond to at least one other persons write up.
If you log in does not have your name in it - please be sure to leave your full name in your comments. I have no idea who "Nesha" or "@Rii3L " is right now. I can't award grades if I don't know who you are in your posts.
Some website should be block, i dont think most of them should. some websites are educational but they are get blocked. Also when you have all your work done in computer classes it gets boring doing noithng.
Everyone has the freedom of speech, so you should be allowed to write what you would like.
In my opinion some websites should be blocked and others shouldn't. Some of the sites that are already blocked are needed for educational purposes and we are not allowed to view them. But websites such as pornography and any others with explicit content shouldn't be allowed. So, therefore I believe that some sites should and others should.
Now how would you know when a website is appropriate or not?
* Some sites that are blocked are actually used for educational purposes
I agree that SOME websites should be blocked for the safty of young students. But as stated before like MYSPACE and other blogging sites i think should be allowed. I see really no harm in them. But the sites can be abused.
With the first amendment, freedom of speech allows us to say how we feel but with these blocked sites the right of the freedom is not being used. And we can not express our feelings and we can't see others opinions.
To answer the second question the author and the reader or blogger as the right to express their opinions and feelings towards the topic that is being discussed. They have the right to the 1st amendment(freedom of speech). But if the site has contents that are not appropriate or not for educational purposes then it should be blocked.
Question #1 When is it appropriate or not appropriate for websites to be blocked?
It is appropriate when we have assignments to do, but when we have free time we should be able to go on whatever sites we want to go on.
Question #2 When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right(1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
The first amendment is not being served to us because we cant show or see peoples opinions on certain issues.
I think that some websites should be blocked. It depends on what it is. When we try to do a research paper alot of things are blocked. Who is to say what is "educational" and what's not?
I think that we have the right to say what we want as long as its not harming anyone.
I agree with Heather,as long as the opinion is not harming anyone the website should not be blocked. You can't block a webpage just because it expresses opinions differing from your own. If the school is doing that then they are limiting Freedom of Speech.
I think its appropriate for websites to be blocked to a certain extent. But when you block everything that might even look interesting to a student just a little bit goes to far. I think the school shouldnt block everything. I guess they think it will make them pay attention more but thats not the case, just because the websites are blocked doesnt mean thats the problem with students not doing their work in class.
Question 1- Alot of sites on the internet need to be blocked for school purposes. But like some students have said games and blogs dont count. When you think inappropriate you think pornography and not age appropraite sites.
Question 2- The first amendment gives the freedom of speech. But the school has the authority to block what sites they think should be shown to the students in school.
I can understand where the School Board is coming from. I understand the fact that there are preditors out there, but sites that could be used for educational purposes should NOT be blocked.
I do not believe our rights are being taken away. I think that the school has the right to block websites that may be harmful to the students, as long as there are legitimate reasons.
It seems like everyone feels pretty much the same about this issue.
Question #1 When is it appropriate or not appropriate for websites to be blocked?
I feel sites that contain pornography are not appropriate for students to be looking at in school because it can interrupt learning. Some sites that they do block such as MySpace and Facebook can have educational purposes. They can also cause problems but I don't feel as though they should block them in school. Another problem I have is that some sites that are made especially for educational purposes are blocked when they shouldn't be. I remember one time in my Operating Systems class we needed to use a site made for schools to use but we could not access it because the fact it was blocked. Also you can go to almost any search engine and type in the simplest word and pornography can show up.
#2 When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right(1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
When sites are blocked, I feel there is a governmental right that is not being servied to the students or the author to the site because they should have the right to say anything and everyone should be allowed to see it. The only exception that should be blocked is pornography.
Question #1:
Obviously websites such as pornography should be blocked from school computers however emails and such are sometimes needed for certain assignments.Myspace can attract child predators but there are restrictions that yo can use such as making your profile private and only lettig certain individuals see your blog/website.
Question 1: i think that it would be appropriate to blocked websites that dont have an education purpose like sex websites if you know what i mean. I dont think that it is right for people to block website that may offen other people but could also be education.
Question #2 When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right(1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
I think some blocked site are governmental rights because it might put a person's private life out in the open
I agree with Sydney, they do block anything that has an interesting look to students which I feel is wrong. Like Sydney said, blocking the sites won't make students do their work, it will just enrage them and they will sit and do nothing. It will not solve the problem. At least some students did do their work when they were allowed to access now blocked content
I agree with courtney that MYSPACE shouldnt be block but also it should be on the teacher to allow students to get on myspace or not it really depends if the students are taking advantage of the sitiuation or not
♥
I agree with samantha, everyone does have the same opinion on this subject.
I think its appropriate to block sites for students that have nothing to do with education and sites that students really shouldnt be looking at in the first place, such as porn. But blocking sites that do no harm for students to look at is pointless because it wont make the child a better student in any way. It just makes me mad when i cant see things on the internet at school that are not bad at all.
The first ammendment is freedom of speech so obviously by blocking the sites than that is violating the first ammendment. The first ammendment isnt "freedom of speech except for educational purposes". I think whoever does the blocking for sites at schools and anywhere else are being hypicritical
Question #1
I think it is appropriate to block sites that could be a potential danger to the students at this school because it could become a lawsuit if something were to happen with a student and a predator. However, I think that the school should pay attention to what is blocked because the server does block some sites that students do need for a project.
Question #2
A author of a website or page has the right to post their ideas, thoughts or opinions and it is protected under the first amendment. The board of education then has the right to decide what sites students are allowed to visit and what is appropriate.
I agree with samantha because are rights are being ignored and not serviced. But we can't cahnge the school's authority. They dont listen to the students opinions alot of these subjects, so therefore we can't pick what sites can be shown and voice our opinions.
Authors of sites on the internet have the right to post things on the internet because of the First Amendment. Like Alicia and Heather, I believe that when sites are blocked the author's freedom of speech is being limited.
I agree with Alicia when she said that the school should have the right to block sights but only if it is noneducational
Question #1 When is it appropriate or not appropriate for websites to be blocked?
I think it is appropriate to block sites when the site has Explicit content. I think its not appropriate to block sites when they are educational
Question #2 When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right(1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
Hen sites are blocked i believe the first amendment of freedom of speech is not being service.
Continued-I also agree with Trish Hayden and everything she says because it makes sense they shouldnt be blocked and some educational websites are blocked and than you really do get bored in class, so.
i agree with Samantha. some websites should be blocked but not the ones for education uses.
What I meant when I said,"I agree with samantha" was that people of higher authority should not block sites if it isn't harming anything. Everyone has a right to go on to whatever website they want, when they have the time. Like if a teacher has given you free time on the computer, you should be able to log on to the web site of your choice.
I also agree with Trish Hayden. What she says makes sense because the sites shouldnt be blocked that we may need for class. Plus when you have free time you can get bored in class.
I agree with Msz' COllinz when she said she "feel sites that contain pornography are not appropriate for students to be looking at in school because it can interrupt learning" but some sites should not be blocked.
I think that some of these sites should be blocked but not all. I think the blogging and game sites are ok to be on just as long as the teacher is ok with that.
It is appropriate and inappropriate for websites to be blocked at many times, sometimes it is appropriate when students do not do there work first. If they do there work first then they should be able to surf the web as they want.
When sites are blocked there is a governmental right not being served to the student and the author of the site. For one reason they cannot share their life’s story and students cannot read to find out about other peoples lives. Another reason is because when we are done our work we should have free time until all other students are finish there work.
I agree wiht Trish, If sites that could be used for educational purposes are blocked, whats the point.
I think That some sites should be blocked that could affect the learning enviroment but other blogging and game sites, i think should not be blocked but it should be up to the teacher as to when you are allowed onto thoses sites.
"I feel that it is appropritate to block sites that do not have an eduacation purpose. The people blocking the site are blocking sites that we might need in order to do are reserch.
November 15, 2006 7:52:00 AM PST" - Nesha
I agree but our school should have the ability to allow and block sub domains like www.myspace.com/badprofilesorblog for example and allow www.myspace.com/goodprofileorblog but instead they block only www.myspace.com which can be wrong for many reasons. Some of the myspace blogs and profiles have a purpose like reading and writing while others only have inappropriate and uncensored content.
Question #1-When is it appropriate or not appropriate for websites to be blocked?
The School owns the computers so they should have the right to block whatever they want for any reasons the feel are justified. Class is not time to surf the web. If you want to surf the web go home and do it on your own time. If not you are wasting not only your time but the teachers time ultimately disrupting the learning environment. Allowing students on sites not needed for school ends up leading to weak useless classes such as yearbook journalism.
Question #2 -When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right (1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
No. The school computers are not people’s personal toys. If you want to surf the web use your own computer. it is not a students right to use a school computer it is a privilege. so anything they are allowed to access on that computer is also a privilege.
Question 2: When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right(1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
yes i think that there is a governmental right when you block a site because you are also blocking the person's 1st Amendment right which is there freedom of speech.
I agree with Samantha when she said that it makes no sense to block some websites because we can't see others opinions and are rights are not being serviced.
I disagree with kaitlin. when should sites with games be alowed into the classroom all they would do is cause a disruption in the class.
I also agree with Amanda because I can't see how the students can't go online and see what other people opinions are, and how they feel about certain situations. It seems that they are just blocking sites to block them and it is serving no justice.
This wraps up discussion 1. Points have been posted.
That was a bit harsh Hank, but i can see where you're comming from. I don't necissarily agree that classes such as yearbook journalism are "weak", but instead left up to your immagination.
No amount of book work, or studying on the topic of yearbook journalism will make you wonderful at it. Unless you have that creative gift for designing spreads, there's not much you can do to replace it. And actually, i would wager that if you're good at creating yearbook spreads, your MySpace page is also very creative. If you think about it, they're very simmilar. The yearbook represents the school as a whole, where as your MySpace represents you. Both require a bit of creative engineering.
i think that blocking certain cites in school are absolutely necessary because it can be distracting and some cites just should not be veiwed in school. however, some educational cites are blocked and i dont think that this is necessary. i really dont see the need in blocking myspace because the students are just going to find another way to get on it. it is up to the student to use good judgement and me smart enough to say, "i shouldnt be on this cite because i have work to do." until then blocking websites are a waste of time.
when websites are blocked in school i think the school should have the right to block innapropriate cites because the schools should be a positive place where education comes first.
Question #1 When is it appropriate or not appropriate for websites to be blocked?
I, like many others, feel that it is appropriate for pornagraphic, or any websites containing obscenity, to be blocked. Also, the school has control over what can or cannot be blocked based on their opinion on what they feel is safe and appropriate for students. It just happens to be an inconvienience that certain sites containing vital information are seen as inappropriate by the school. When the government starts to block our websites, I feel that that is extremely out of line and, in a way, inappropriate.
Question #2 When sites are blocked, is there a governmental right(1st amendment, freedom of speech) that is not being serviced either to the student or the author of the site?
When sites are blocked by the government it is taking the first amendment away from the author of the site and the student or any citizen who wants to view that site. Our rights are not being serviced in any way when we cannot read or write whatever we want, even if that content may be harming others.
[Due to doing this too late]
In this post I'd also like to comment saying that I disagree with Msz` C0LLiNsz` when she mentioned that Myspace and Facebook have educational purposes. I don't see how either of those websites could be educational in any way, unless they bring a school group together or something along those lines. Even if that was the case, participation in a group like that can be dealt with at home and not at school.
I think that they dont need to block myspace or sites for cheat codes or games. they just need to block pornography or any outher
sites that an not good for the school.
Post a Comment